I found a recipe for Roasted Beef Nachos and modified it for my own use. I have made this recipe twice, once with a neck roast and once with a front shoulder roast and both times the meat shredded perfectly. The key to this recipe is to braise the venison long enough that it flakes easily with a couple of forks. Using a disposable foil pan makes cleanup incredibly easy and will allow you to make this at home and take it to a dinner or party and cook the last 15 minutes on the spot. People are going to go crazy over this recipe.
2 pounds Roast Venison
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 can (12 oz.) Mexican beer, such as Tecate or Modelo
for the nachos
1 bag (18 oz.) Tostitos
4ch Monterrey Jack
1 can drained pickled jalapeños
2 avocados, cubed
2 radishes, sliced
1/4 cup loose cilantro leaves
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 chopped tomato
Limes cut into wedges in a separate bowl
1 small bowl sour cream about 1/2 cup
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the oregano, brown sugar, salt, ground pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Rub the spice mixture all over the trimmed venison roast.
- Heat crock pot to high heat and add olive oil. Drop in Trimmed Venison Roast
- Pour the beer into the slow cooker, spread the onions over the pot roast and secure the lid.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours and on low heat for 4 hours. Remove roast from crock pot and use two forks to shred.
- Preheat oven to 375° using a disposable aluminum pan. Spread an even layer of fries in the pan, then top with 1/3 of the cheese, jalapeños, and shredded venison. Top with more fries and another 1/3 cheese, jalapenos, and venison. Finish with one more layer of fries and the rest of the cheese, jalapeños, and venison. Sprinkle with Cayenne Pepper to taste. Bake until cheese is melted and fries are slightly crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. If you like the smoky flavor, you can place it in your smoker for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, radishes, cilantro, and red onion. Serve with lime wedges, tomatoes, and sour cream on the side.