Which squeaker toy for dogs is better?
Dogs like squeaker toys because they are interactive and designed to simulate prey. These noisy toys trigger an instinctive response in your dog that makes playing endlessly satisfying, as if he were hunting alongside his wild ancestors.
If you want a happy pet, look for a squeaker toy that’s durable and packed with interactive features. The Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy is the best choice because it’s whimsical, squeaky, and features a fun puzzle that will keep your dog engaged for hours on end.
What you need to know before buying a dog squeaker toy
Types of squeaky toys
There are many types of squeaker toys to choose from, and every dog likes something a little different. For a more comprehensive list of general dog toy categories, check out BestReviews’ complete dog toy buying guide.
- Stuffed Squeaky Toys: These soft and squeaky toys are usually in cute shapes or designed to look like animals. While they may not always be particularly durable, dogs of all sizes and ages love squeaky plush toys.
- Balls and chew toys: These squeaker toys are usually made of a hard plastic material like nylon and are tough enough to resist regular rodents. These are great for dogs that love to compulsively chew on things, and many of these toys double as tossable balls if your dog likes to play fetch.
- Puzzle toys: A great way to stimulate your dog’s brain, puzzle toys often include squeaks and are perfect for easily bored pets. These toys often incorporate some sort of reward into their design, such as a treat or stuffed toy.
squeaky toy tips
- Many dogs chew on stuffed toys trying to get to the source of the squeaky sound. If that happens, be prepared to retrieve the plastic squeaker or your pet could swallow it.
- Put dog toys away when not in use and retrieve them only when your dog wants to play. This will give your pet a new thrill every time his toys reappear.
- If your pet can chew hard plastic, make sure there are no sharp pieces left. Shredded bits of plastic can cut your dog’s mouth without him realizing it.
- If your dog spends a significant part of the day alone, consider a puzzle toy or durable toy that will keep his brain active when you’re not around.
What to look for in a quality dog squeaker toy
Perhaps the most important thing to look for in a squeaker toy is durability. Most dogs have extremely powerful jaws, so choose a manufacturer you trust that makes durable construction a priority in their products. Details like double stitching and puncture-proof squeaks are good indicators that a squeaker will last.
Squeaker toys are meant to spend a lot of time in your dog’s mouth, so safety is key. Look for a brand you trust that uses safe materials, like food-grade and BPA-free plastic, and avoid anything with small parts that your pet can swallow.
Find a squeaker toy that is the right size for your pet. If the toy is too small, it can be a choking hazard; if it’s too big, your dog may have trouble playing with it. Choose a balanced toy that is small enough for your dog to carry but large enough to support its jaws.
How much can you expect to spend on a dog squeaker toy?
Expect to pay $3-$30 for a squeaker dog toy. Keep in mind that cheaper dog toys are often less durable and may need to be replaced more often.
Dog Squeaker Toy Frequently Asked Questions
Can squeaker toys be washed?
A. The most durable squeaker toys can be added to a regular load of laundry without a problem. Just be sure to use cold or lukewarm water, as hot water can damage the squeaker part of the toy.
What should I do if my dog swallows the squeaker?
A. Call your vet immediately. While there’s a good chance your dog will get through the part without a problem, you should see a professional to make sure there isn’t an obstruction.
What is the best squeaker toy for dogs?
Superior squeaker toy for dogs
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Puzzle Toy
What you need to know: This popular dog toy includes an elaborate and interactive puzzle to keep your dog entertained.
What you’ll love: The log-shaped plush toy includes six squeaky squirrels that your pet can hide and discover. The squirrels can then be tossed around for a game of fetch, while the log itself doubles as a toss toy.
What you should consider: Parts of the toy could be destroyed by a determined chewer.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
The best investment for your money
Medium Gnawing Squeaky Ball
What you need to know: This inexpensive squeaker ball is great for playing fetch and tough enough to take a lot of chewing.
What you’ll love: This affordable squeaker toy is made from BPA-free, food-grade plastic, and the spikes around the ball are designed to massage your dog’s gums. Users say that the ball is very durable for the price.
What you should consider: The squeaker is very loud, which is fun for the dog, but unpleasant for some pet owners.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
ZippyPaws Skinny Peltz
What you need to know: These popular squeaker toys are unstuffed and double as a pull toy.
What you’ll love: These squeaky toys come in two sizes and are designed to look like three adorable woodland creatures: a fox, a raccoon, and a squirrel. Each toy contains three squeakers and no messy stuffing.
What you should consider: Several users said that their dogs were able to start the squeakers relatively quickly.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out BestReviews daily deals.
Sign up here for the weekly BestReviews newsletter with helpful tips on new products and featured deals.
Patrick Farmer writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.