The top athletes have been determined for the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) Regional Three Position Air Rifle Championship! The event was held in April at CMP’s own airgun competition centers in Ohio and Alabama, as well as using CMP’s mobile electronic range in Utah.
The annual nationwide competition series is designed for junior air rifle shooters involved in precision air rifle programs, 4-H, Scouts, American Legion, club, or JROTC sporter. Athletes start with a postal match, followed by regional and national events. During the match, athletes shoot from three positions: prone, standing, and kneeling. Qualifying scores are recorded each day, and the eight highest scoring scorers from each discipline participate in a final on the firing line.
Special congratulations to precision athlete Makenzie Larson, 15, of Wellington, CO, who set three new national records with her Day 1 score of 599-57X. Larson broke the American Legion, Open/Overall, and Under 17 Individual 3×20 records with her incredible performance.
General event people at all locations included:
- Samantha Zermeno, 18, Nation Ford High School, SC – 1117-42X
- Kalinn White, 17, Zion Benton High School, IL – 1108-30X
- Judson Terry, 17, Wilcox County 4-H, GA – 1103-34X
- Makenzie Larson, 15, American Legion Post 109/TWS, CO– 1194-110X
- Katrina Demerle, 18, Single, Hamilton, OH – 1192-104X
- Griffin Lake, 17, Ontelaunee Jr. Rifle, Pennsylvania – 1192-95X
Best Overall Teams:
- Nation Ford High School, South Carolina – 4399-146X
- Zion High School Benton, Illinois – 4324-126X
- Pierre Post 8, South Dakota – 4287-129X
- American Legion Post 295, Ohio – 4677-301X
- Palmyra, Pennsylvania Junior Rifle Team – 4649-288X
- Ontelaunee Jr. Rifle, Pennsylvania – 4628-279X
The top three teams and top eight individuals were recognized with prizes at each location. Third place individuals received $300 from the CMP, while second and first place earned $400 and $500, respectively. The teams placed in each location were also recognized and received monetary prizes: $800 for third, $1,200 for second and $1,500 for third.
The final event in the three-position competition series for qualified teams and individuals will be the CMP National Championships, which will be held at Camp Perry, Ohio, June 22-24 for athletes and July 10-12 for precision. . The match will also include the National Junior Olympic Championship. Good luck to you all!
Find a full list of results from the CMP Regional Three Position Air Rifle Championship, including listings by location, at https://ct.thecmp.org/20233PARRegionalResults. Photos of each location are available for free download via CMP’s online photo album at https://cmp1.zenfolio.com/f804793446.
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearms safety and marksmanship training and the promotion of marksmanship competition for United States citizens. To learn more about the CMP and its programs, log on to www.TheCMP.org.