The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) has announced its line of Master Instructor and Range Officer training courses for 2023! These courses provide learning opportunities on how to train others in marksmanship, as well as ensuring proper standards and safety at local competitive events. The training program spans the country throughout the year to increase CMP’s outreach to interested individuals.
Those seeking certification in teaching marksmanship basics and match details as “Master Instructors” of CMP-sanctioned Garand, Springfield, and Modern/Vintage Military (GSMM) rifle or Rimfire Sporter rifle events should refer to the GSMM Master Instructor Training Workshops. The registration fee for the class is $135 and includes a notebook, USB stick, sling, 20 dummy rounds, and a CMP rifle score book.
next GSMM Master Instructor Training Workshops 2023:
- 28th of April – Eastern Games, Camp Butner, NC
- June 7th – Talladega D-Day games, Talladega, Ala.
- July 21 – National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio
- 16 of September – New England Games, Jericho, Vt.
To learn more about CMP Master Instructors, visit https://thecmp.org/training-tech/gsmm-master-instructor/.
Similarly, those who wish to receive training on athlete facilitation and field safety at CMP-sanctioned competitions should register with the CMP Field Officer Training Courses. Training is currently offered in Level I and Level II stages.
Level I promotes proper training for all shooting disciplines, showing basic Range Officer information. The online course includes instruction, followed by a short quiz. Participants must pass the quiz before they are allowed to proceed to Level II training. A class fee of $75 is required for the Level I class.
Level II provides specialized instruction in a certain shooting discipline, including the High Power Rifle (and Military Rifle as issued), Bulls-Eye Pistol, and Rimfire Sporter/Smallbore Rifle. The course covers weapons and equipment used, courses of fire, event rules, and how to handle issues and violations, along with other match-specific details. The one-day Level II course costs $40 to attend.
Level II Training courses for field officers Scheduled in 2023 for High Power (HP) Rifle and Pistol:
- March 10th – Western Games, Phoenix, Arizona. (HP Rifle and Pistol)
- 28th of April – Eastern Games, Camp Butner, NC (HP Rifle and Pistol)
- June 7th – Talladega D-Day games, Talladega, Ala. (HP Rifle and Pistol)
- July 07 – National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio (small bore/rimfire)
- July 9th – National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio (Gun)
- July 22 – National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio (HP Rifle)
- September, 17th – New England Games, Jericho, Vt. (HP Rifle and Pistol)
- to be confirmed – Talladega 600, Talladega, Ala. (HP Rifle and Pistol)
To learn more about each range officer training course and to register, visit https://thecmp.org/training-tech/range-officer-training-course/.
Questions about the GSMM Master Trainer Workshop or Field Officer Training courses can be directed to CMP’s Kim Filipiak at email@example.com or 419-635-2141 ext. 706. We look forward to seeing you at these valuable training events!
— By Ashley Dugan, CMP Staff Writer
The Civilian Marksmanship Program is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. It is dedicated to firearms safety and marksmanship training and the promotion of marksmanship proficiency for United States citizens. To learn more about the CMP and its programs, log on to www.TheCMP.org.
Restricted to those 18 and older in CA pursuant to CA State Assembly Bill 2571 prohibiting the sale of firearms to minors in the State of CA.